About & Contact
I am a full-time artist, doing what I love, in hope of spreading a little happiness around. I believe in loving kindness. I am mostly sweet and compassionate and learning to say “no” when “yes” does not feel right and accept (and even embrace) the non-optimistic, angry, spitfire part of myself. I travel as much as possible and love animals with all my heart.
This is the true story of how I became a full-time, self-taught artist:
Finding Happiness Through Art
Graduated from college, married, worked as a teacher.
Got my masters in mental health counseling.
Thought I would work in a school forever and earn a safe, reliable income.
Read The Artistâ€™s Way.
Began making art again at age 30-something for the first time since tenth grade.
Heard my husband say he didnâ€™t love me anymore.
He actually meant it.
And my heart broke.
And we divorced.
And I felt abandoned and angry and afraid and shamed.
And somehow, I kept making art.
I turned a blank book into a visual journal where I sat in meditation, wrote my intention, prayed and let the art pour out of me and onto the paper. Â It gave me a place to hold my grief and fear about the past and my hope and excitement about the future.
My heart opened.
And sometimes I rode the waves of pain on a boat of pastels, paints, chalk and inks.
It was such a bumpy ride.
I grew deeper, more spiritual, more compassionate.
Sometimes happiness can be elusive.Â It comes in, graces us with its presence and light and then disappears, leaving us with only shadows. Â Thatâ€™s ok.Â Happiness always returns again.
And I am still finding happiness through art.
These days I am remarried and happily living in a cute cape-cod home in upstate New York with my loving husband, gentle-hearted greyhounds, and calico cat.Â We love to read spiritual books, drink green juice, travel, go on hikes, and snuggle in to watch movies and eat dark chocolate. I am so grateful for this life here; doing work I love and watching my creative dreams open up and become real.
Â 10 Authentic Things About Me:
- I have degrees in education and counseling and I am so grateful that I am not working in those fields.Â Art feels like home to me.
- I love animals an insane amount and care about their well being so much that it hurts me sometimes.
- I can get totally bogged down by numbers.Â They swim in my head like little fish and I cannot remember them.
- I usually think things that are totally inappropriate are so funny.Â Â I love funny, raunchy movies- The Hangover, American Pie, The Wedding Crashers, and Old School.Â I also love movies that are set back in time.
- Iâ€™m mostly kind, compassionate and peace-loving but I also swear quite a bit.
- Three books that have had a tremendous life-changing impact on me are The Artistâ€™s Way by Julia Cameron, Return to Love by Marianne Williamson, and Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth.
- I cry really easily from the sweetness and beauty of things- happy, grateful crying.Â I also cry easily when things are sad and when I am so mad that I donâ€™t know what to do.
- Farmerâ€™s markets make me so happy I want to clap my hands and jump up and down.Â Organic produce!Â Gorgeous colors!
- I love massive snow storms and pouring rain days.
- Every part of my being loves to travel.Â I am so grateful for all of the places Iâ€™ve been, and all of the trips yet to come.
I love to hear from you!
If you are a licensee interested in my Happiness Through Art designs and illustrations,
email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (315) 491-6488.
Photo Credit: Â The photographs on my site (with me in the red dress and the barn) are from my gorgeous friend, Hailey Bartholomew. Â Her work is brilliant and I feel so blessed to have been part of a photo shoot with her. Â When I saw the photos she took of me, it was the first time I ever saw photos of myself that I liked. Â I cried. Â I feel like she captured the essence of me. Her photography and films go straight to the heart and take my breath away. Â